Date(s) - Sep 21, 2017
5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
The Adult RE Team* is excited to announce that beginning in September, we will hold Religious Education classes for all ages on the third Thursday of each month. Each evening will proceed as follows:
- 5:30 p.m.: Gather
- 5:45 p.m.: Potluck supper
- 6:30 p.m.: Vespers service
- 6:45-8:15 p.m.: Classes for adults and children
We will offer two different tracks for adults to choose from:
- A House For Hope: A discussion of the book “A House for Hope: The Promise of Progressive Religion for the 21st Century” (Rebecca Parker and John Buehrens), facilitated by Rev. Jim Magaw. Each session, we will discuss one chapter from the book, with reflections from Rev. Magaw and questions from a discussion guide from the UUA.
- Spirit in Practice: Each session we will explore a different spiritual practice, from sitting meditation to yoga and tai chi and much more. Each session will include a general overview of a particular practice, actual practice, and time for reflection and questions. Session leaders will include both Sunnyhill members and friends and practitioners from the larger community.
We will provide separate activities for children—on many nights related to the activities for adults.
There will also be a social justice component of each session, during which participants will have the opportunity to act on particular issues.
Participants need not attend each session, although regular attendance is certainly encouraged (especially for the book discussion). Participants also need not come to all parts of each session. If you can attend only the class portion of the evening or only the potluck dinner, that’s fine!
Sessions will take place September 2017 through May 2018 (except for December).
*Adult RE team members are: Josh Broaded, Lauren Hartz, Dean Hazelton, Carl Johnson, Nanette Miller, Dawn Moeller, and Rev. Jim Magaw.