Beloved Conversations Goals
Beloved Conversations (BC) Team
Members: Tim Dawson, Janie Elliott, Jennifer McGlothin, Patricia Murray, Carol Slomksi, Cori Vipperman
- Provide programs and educational resources that encourage members to participate in the transformation of Sunnyhill into a Beloved Community.
- Examples can include Books or Documentaries for individual or group consumption, calendar of regional activities, and more in partnership with the Sunnyhill Social Justice Team
- Annually Organize two church wide events focused on ARAOMC (Anti-racist, anti-oppression, multicultralism)
- Support the assessment of Sunnyhill’s policies and practices.
- Develop a toolkit of resources, drawn from the Beloved Conversations Curriculum, that the BC team can use to work in partnership with Sunnyhill leaders to assess programs.
- Membership and Social Justice are the areas of focus chosen by the BC team. Given that, we suggest beginning assessment by working with Bethany Thornton, Membership/Outreach manager, to review member acquisition and retention processes and practices to identify if processes and practices foster an ARAOMC community . Where not, prioritize areas for change and explore options for change. What we learn from this first assessment will allow us to revise our toolkit.
- Partner with BIPOC organizations (for example, a BIPOC church) or organizations with diverse partners (substantial participation from BIPOC organizations) and a clear mission of acting on issues of justice and fairness (for example, PIIN). The goal of this partnership is both accountability and action.
- Building covenanting into each goal Education, Policy, and Community Partners
- Assist in developing a Congregational Covenant for Sunnyhill.
- Clarify how we are to be in “right relationship” with one another. (We should be welcoming, respectful, and friendly to all—members, visitors, children and youth, staff).
- Develop strategies for bringing members back into covenant. (This would include a process for members to share concerns and a process for following through on concerns and working towards positive change.)