OWL Classes are offered at Sunnyhill on a rotating schedule.
- 2017-18 Church Year: grades 10-12
- 2018-19 Church Year: grades 4-6 and 7-9
The information below is also available at the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) website.
Facts about OWL:
- OWL is a series of sexuality education curricula that helps participants make informed and responsible decisions about their sexual health and behavior.
- OWL equips participants with accurate, age-appropriate information in six subject areas: human development, relationships, personal skills, sexual behavior, sexual health, and society and culture.
- OWL provides facts about anatomy and human development and helps participants clarify their values, build interpersonal skills, and understand the spiritual, emotional, and social aspects of sexuality.
- OWL curricula are based on the Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education produced by the National Guidelines Task Force, a group of leading health, education, and sexuality professionals assembled by the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States (SIECUS).
- OWL covers topics and skills that both parents and students want to have available but schools are less likely to cover.
- Self worth
- Sexual health
- Justice and inclusivity
All OWL levels offer:
- Up-to-date information and honest, age-appropriate answers to all participants’ questions
- Activities to help participants clarify values and improve decision-making skills
- Effective group-building to create a safe and supportive peer group
- Education about sexual abuse, exploitation, and harassment
- Opportunities to critique media messages about gender and sexuality
- Acceptance of diversity
- Encouragement to act for justice
- A well designed, teacher-friendly leaders’ guide
- Parent orientation programs that affirm parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
Although developed by two religious organizations, OWL contains no religious references or doctrine. Religious references are provided in a Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ companion publication, Sexuality and Our Faith.